Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cabinet Door Chalkboard

I made this simple project the other day with an old cabinet door I had.  My BIL has a construction business and lucky for me he always brings me old "junk" that people throw away.  He has a great eye for the "junk" I like!!!!

Here is one of many old cabinet doors he got for me.


I decided to break out the chalkboard paint for this project.  I used painters tape and covered the frame and hardware of the cabinet.  I thought about painting the frame a fun color, but then I got lazy and thought to myself.....I can always paint it later.


I cut 6 strips of burlap and fabric.  I made the burlap about an inch longer than the fabric.  6 inch burlap and 5 inch fabric strips.  Each strip is about an inch wide.


Then I drug out my sewing machine.  Doesn't this count as sewing?!?!?


I glued each strip together at the end forming a petal.


Then I glued each of the pieces together to form a flower.  I repeated this for the fabric strips as well.


Then I made a fabric rosette.  It is hard to take pictures of the process with one hand so I will do my darndest to explain.  Take a 1 inch x 24 inch strip {or whatever length you want} of fabric and fold in half wrong sides together so you have a piece now that is a half inch wide.



Start rolling it up like a little sleeping bag.  You can put a dab of glue occasionally to hold the fabric in place.


Start twisting your fabric as you wrap it.  This will create the petal look.  At this point I don't care if my fabric doesn't stay folded in half anymore.  It gives it a more shabby look which I like.  Continue to put a dab of glue every now and then to help hold the flower together.


When you get to the end of the fabric glue what is left over the back of the flower and trim the excess.



It should look something like this.


 Glue the fabric flower to the burlap.  Then glue the rosette to the fabric flower.


It will look like these darling little burlap flowers.  I then glued them to the corner of the cabinet.


I used jute and ran it through the old hardware and tied it to create a hanger.


Then I tied leftover scraps of fabric to the jute.....ummm just because it seemed like the right thing to do!!


Here is a closer look at the flowers.  Some of us have bad eyes and prefer larger pictures.


And here is what I ended up with.


Thanks for stopping by.  Feel free to look around while your are here!!!!!!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

7 comments:

  1. I love this and I admit it looks easy to do. I love the burlap flowers with the rosettes too. Nice finishing touch. I just cannot look at something and come up with such a cute idea. It just does not pop into my head no matter how much I wish it would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice chalkboard,, very pretty fabric and burlap flowers. I can do alot of things but for the life of me I cannot make one of those roll and twist rosettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really cute idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!! You need to link this baby up! GORGEOUS!!! LOVE it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your link over at Funky Junk blog. As simple as this is, it's darling with those flowers & I love that you used the hinges for the hanging cord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it...especially the flower tutorial. Thanks for sharing!!Found your link over at Sew Darn Crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you over at Sassy Sites and love the blog AND the title. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love